Welcome to Miracles Grow



This blog offers refreshment and hope to the weary. It doesn’t begin to have all the answers, but God does. Whenever he brings relief in the midst of a crushing day, a small miracle happens. Share yours with us!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Judge not

      My daughter's family gave me a Verse A Day Calendar for Christmas.The calendar has all sorts of verses, from praises to commands to prophecies.  What I'm doing is taking the verse for the day from the calendar, then reading the context around it in my own Bible, and seeing where it leads.   
      One morning recently, I came across Jesus' command in Matthew regarding passing judgment on other people. You know it: "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." (Matthew 7:5)  
     It hit me like a ton of bricks. As "nice" as I am, I judge people who are not my definition of "nice."  I see someone's unkindness to another person, I intervene if I can on behalf of the injured party--but I know I also file away a judgment on the perpetrator in the back of my mind.  
      I've been around people lately who seem to complain constantly, and the complaints feel like drops of acid on my spirit. I try to be Teflon and let this run off, but somewhere deep inside I'm subconsciously judging these people.
      Who am I to do this?  Good question. 
      I'm forced to realize the beam in my own eye is the pride that has long held a  stronghold inside my heart. I take my gifts and talents for granted, but I do take pride in them, forgetting the our Lord is the One who gave them to me. They are his trust to me, for me to use for his glory.  Judgment, of course, is a outward symptom when I take pride for myself, and not my Lord. 

Thank you, Father, for the reminder that when I judge, I need to come back to you in repentance for my pride in holding myself above the other person.

Lord, again, I give this battle back to you. I humble myself and ask for your forgiveness and help to live in the way that will bring honor to you everywhere I go. Give me your eyes to see every person who stands before me with your compassion and your care. Keep my focus on you and your glory, not their shortcomings. 
Thank you that you have us all in your powerful hands, now and evermore.

1 comment:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain