Welcome to Miracles Grow



This blog offers refreshment and hope to the weary. It doesn’t begin to have all the answers, but God does. Whenever he brings relief in the midst of a crushing day, a small miracle happens. Share yours with us!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Awaken the dawn

     Have you ever noticed how many decisions are made by the time you get out of bed?  If you look at my recent post, God's riches are waiting, you'll see my struggle to get back to working out on a regular basis again in my local pool.  
      For me, that battle is won or lost by the time I know how early or late it is in the first glimmers of consciousness each morning. If I decide I could roll over, for just a FEW more minutes in those wonderfully warm covers, rather than forcing my feet onto the carpet and toward the swimsuit in the closet, I'm toast. 
      The rest of the day gets going like a runaway train. I get into other things, and I've found a hundred reasons not to go to the pool.  
      I've already paid the quarterly community fees, allowing me to go for "free." The water feels delicious and exhilarating, once I get going. I feel like I've won a small victory over my inner couch potato.
      IF I can just get out of bed, and IF I can just get into the swimsuit, I will be really glad I went. That's why, for me, I finally figured out that the real problem comes down to those microseconds before the decision is finalized.  How inconvenient to have these crucial moments occur when I am so sleepy, and the bed is so inviting.
      Of course, that's the way battles are. They wouldn't be battles if they were easy.
      Now, I hope you've realized that I'm not writing all of this as a HOW-TO on waking up in the morning.
      For me, in the pool, I can pray and deeply enjoy a time with the Lord--all the more reason to get those feet onto the carpet. I'm nearly alone at the pool, and the others who are there are lost in their own quiet worlds.  It's serene and a glorious place to spend time with God while getting some exercise.
      You have your own battles, sidetracking you from living your most fulfilling day with your Lord, your job, your family.  Our God alone knows how many days are left to you in the grace-filled gift that is your life. Be mindful today of the one you have before you, and use it well.
     Your day begins in those moments before your head leaves the pillow.  At least I know I'm in good company. King David also decided to awaken his entire soul early to praise the Lord.
Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn. I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Psalm 57:8-10

1 comment:

  1. Wishing I lived down the street so that we could be pool buddies regularly! That would be so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain